Clearly when I said I was “back” in my last post what I meant was “I just clawed my way out of a vortex of death to get here and I’m about to be sucked back into it. Help.”
But a very clever sponge has just pulled me from the vortex. To show my gratitude I will do my best to remain in this dimension long enough to answer the questions I have been asked by said sponge. The fact is, The Story Sponge has nominated me for the Liebster Award.
Basically the gist of the award is to recognize and honor fellow bloggers and also ask them a bunch of questions because why not?
Here are the questions (and answers! Because I’m just that dedicated).
1. Pie or Cake?
So technically it depends on WHAT KIND, but in general:
2. Who is your favorite author and why?
Erm…. I don’t like picking favorites. I’m terribly indecisive.
ONE of my favorite authors is Kate DiCamillo. I love her because her books are simple, yet poignant. Her characters and quirky and lovable, and her writing is beautiful.
I also love J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, and Elizabeth Marie Pope.
3. Who is an author that you cannot stand?
Obert Skye. Except apparently I CAN stand him because I got through the entire Leven Thumps series. HOW I got through it, I still don’t know.
A lot of people are taught to never use the word “said”. Instead you’re supposed to use words like “whispered” “growled” “shrieked” etc. And sometimes that works. But honestly, a lot of the time a nice simple “said” is actually okay.
I don’t know if Obert Skye ever used a nice simple “said” in the entire Leven Thumps series. Instead it felt like he was always groping for a substitute word and sometimes that just made it really distracting. Also he tended to over explain things such as this famous sentence that my sister and I still quote to each other:
“What key?” asked Leven, playing innocent, but really knowing perfectly well that Clover was referring to the metal key he had found while digging up the secret.
Yes, and we also know perfectly well what Clover is referring to, and that Leven knows it and is playing innocent. You don’t have to spell it out to us.
4. If you could live in any fictitious world, which would you choose?
Well, I spend equal parts of my childhood opening cupboards trying to find a way to Narnia, and bemoaning the fact that our bedroom window had a screen so Peter Pan wouldn’t be able to come take us to Neverland.
At this point I think I would say Narnia.
5. If you could suddenly have a new skill, what would it be?
Skill with a bow.
SEE WHAT I DID THERE.
6. What is something you wish people knew about you without telling them?
I’m listening even when I don’t say anything. My brain is active. Still working on the speech apparatus. It tends to malfunction when I’m around people I don’t know very well.
Also, I’m a total genius. I think everyone should know that.
7. What would your superpower and superhero/super-villain name be?
My superpower would be the ability to stop time. And the name? Uhh…. Maybe “Indefinite”? Or “Outlier”?
I don’t know. Cisco, help me.
8. What is your favorite blog post that you’ve written?
I DON’T KNOW.
9. If you could give one fictional character a hug right now and tell them they’re not alone, who would it be?
Just one?? But ALL my fictional children NEED ME.
Ok. If I have to pick just one: Charlie from The Perks of Being a Wallflower.
10. If you could punch one fictional character in the face right now, who would it be?
SO MANY OPTIONS.
Maybe Snape? To make up for the fact that I didn’t say I would give Neville a hug.
11. Which character from fiction would you choose to have as your big brother?
Tadashi from Big Hero 6 is the first person that comes to mind, but maybe that’s just because he IS a big brother. Maybe Remus Lupin? Or Faramir?
11 Random Facts About Myself
- I always write with a pen
- I have socks with little elves or gnomes or something on them. I don’t even know what they are, but they’re wearing pink hats and having a snowball fight.
- I run into walls a lot
- I’m allergic to the taste of peanut butter
- When I was younger I wanted to be an astronaut
- Outer space terrifies me. Never take me there
- I like to let my fingers wander around on the piano and call it making up music
- I want to cut all my hair off (maybe)
- If I ever take over the world, my minions will be ostriches and baby turtles
- I write a lot of random stuff about secret agents
- Which may or may not be because I really AM a secret agent and I’m writing from experience
Now I’m supposed to nominate 11 bloggers, but I can’t count so I nominate:
If you choose to accept, here are the questions:
- If you could time travel, would you go to the future or the past?
- What’s more important, plot or characters?
- What is your favorite blog post that you’ve written?
- If money was no object, what would your ideal vacation be?
- If you could be the sidekick of any protagonist in a book/movie, who would it be?
- What’s your favorite time of day?
- DC or Marvel? (Or neither?)
- What is something you wish people knew about you without telling them?
- What is a book that emotionally destroyed you?
- What would your superpower and superhero/super-villain name be?
- Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Here are the rules:
1. Acknowledge the blog that gave it to you and display the award
2. Answer the 11 questions that the blogger gives you
3. Give 11 random facts about yourself
4. Nominate 11 blogs
5. Notify those blogs of their nomination
6. Give them 11 questions to answer
Thanks again to The Story Sponge for nominating me! (And dragging me out of the vortex of death.) It is by far the best blog authored by a sponge that I have ever read, and I highly recommend that you all go check it out!